PEMBROKE, Ont. – A 60-year-old man convicted of killing three women during an hour-long rampage in the Ottawa Valley two years ago will be sentenced on Wednesday.
Basil Borutski sat in a packed Pembroke, Ont., courtroom and showed no emotion Tuesday as the families of his three victims told of their heartbreak through victim impact statements.
Four of the victim impact statements were read by Crown attorney Julie Scott.
Borutski was convicted late last month of first-degree murder in the fatal shootings of Anastasia Kuzyk and Nathalie Warmerdam, and of second-degree murder in the strangling of Carol Culleton. All three murders were committed on Sept. 22, 2015, in the space of less than an hour.
Life sentences are mandatory on all three counts and the Crown is seeking that Borutski be ineligible for parole for 70 years.
Borutski, who is representing himself, refused to make any comments or submissions at the sentencing hearing.
Warmerdam’s mother Maz Tracey was blunt about her family’s loss.
“There is a huge hole in our lives and our family. Daily we walk under a black cloud,” she said.
In a videotaped interview played at trial, Borutski expressed a degree of remorse for his actions, which he said were fuelled by rage at what he considered to be the lies and betrayals of his victims.
In the video, he described how he was acting like a “zombie” on the day in question, saying he’d originally planned to take his own life, but decided against it because he believed it was wrong to take an innocent life.
“I killed them because they were not innocent,” Borutski said in the video. “They were guilty. I was innocent. I’ve done nothing wrong.”
(CFRA, The Canadian Press)