Carbon monoxide scare sends condo residents out into cold - 660 NEWS
Loading articles...

Carbon monoxide scare sends condo residents out into cold

(Photo by Chelsey Harms/660 NEWS)

Residents of one of Calgary’s tallest condo buildings are back home after an abrupt early morning wake up.

The carbon monoxide alarm went off around 3 a.m. in the 42-storey building located in the 100 block of 3 Street SE.

Battalion Chief Stu Laird says fire crews evacuated residents from the first 18 floors where gas levels were as high as 100 parts per million.

“It’s believed that the cause of the accumulation was because of what’s going on outside right now with the snow, the wind conditions, the temperature and the air pressure, caused the boiler exhaust to be taken in by the air intake system,” he said.

About 100 residents hung out at a nearby casino while the building was ventilated to safe levels, which took a couple hours.

Three people complained of nausea but none needed to be treated.

Join the conversation

Please read our commenting policies