It was supposed to be a night of fun, until something went horribly wrong at a nightclub in Santa Maria in Southern Brazil.

More than 200 people have been killed with hundreds more injured, after a fire broke out at the popular Kiss nightclub.

Police believe both the number of dead and injured are likely to rise as all the wreckage is cleared.

Officials have not confirmed the cause, but there has been some speculation that the fire began when a band on stage started a fireworks display.

It’s believed many of those killed were either trampled or died from smoke inhalation.

The nightclub is popular with young people in the area, with the capacity to hold several thousand people. It is not clear how many people were in the club at the time of the fire.

Emergency crews broke a hole in the wall to help people escape, but local reporters say the smoke, heat and darkness were overwhelming.

Here in North America, one of the deadliest nightclub fires in recent history was the Station Nightclub fire in Rhode Island.

That eerily similar tragedy began when a pyrotechnic display from the band Great White started a fire, killing 100 people.

The worst nightclub fire in U.S. history happened near the start of the Second World War, when the Coconut Grove nightclub in Boston caught fire, killing 492 people.