A popular pool in the south is open once again.
Health officials closed the Glenmore Aquatic centre Thursday afternoon after two recent visitors contracted the parasite called crypto-sporidium, a fairly common illness that comes from exposure to contaminated water.
Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, fever, nausea and vomiting and can last up to 30 days.
The two people who contracted the parasite share no relation.
Medical Officer of Health for Alberta Health Services Judy MacDonald says the chlorine levels will be higher in the southwest pool.
“The levels chlorine that are in swimming pools or even in drinking water are not sufficient to dispatch this particular organism but raising chlorine levels for an extended period of time will in-activate it.”
MacDonald says there’s no confirmation the parasite was present in the pool.
The parasite can be serious for people with compromised immune systems and infants under six months old.
Glenmore Aquatic centre re-opens after parasite scare